Saturday, January 06, 2007

Remembering 2006 (Part 2)

CAT 2005 was a disappointment (even 2006 was the same) as a result I had to get myself a job now. Getting a job proved to be the most frustrating thing I ever did. After unable to get myself shortlisted for majority of companies (including Bank of America) I eventually landed up with a job at Evalueserve (my failsafe option). There were quite a few lessons learnt from the placement season - 1. Resume - I think I should have put much more effort in preparing my CV. 2. - Pitch Work. I was not confident of myself and I hardly pitched myself in the correct manner. I was relying upon standard lies to be spoken in interviews.

PAFs happened. I have always kept myself as far away from PAFs as possible. This year's PAF was no different. The only reason I mention it is because of the extraordinary performance put up by H4-H9-H?? in what was arguably the best ever PAF - deja vu. I should get hold of the video soon.

As I said earlier, the year was marked with book reading sessions often followed by intense discussions on topics ranging from music to politics to religion to languages. This was the time when I migrated from popular fiction to popular non-fiction. I bought books on economics and philosophy and tried understanding a bit of math too.

Before I knew it was Valfi time. All these years I used to think that I'll cry on my Valfi, the profile reading, post valfi booze session etc. Don't think I was looking forward for anything with as much excitement as my Valfi day. However, I was anything but excited. Probably Dixi and I were the only normally dressed people for the occasion. Everyone wore traditional clothes (or suits) and got drunk (even Pritam). I, on the other hand, distinctly remember turning in rather early (like 3-ish in the morning). Somebody (guess who) came to my room but I wasn't paying heed to anyone that day. I was fairly disappointed by Pritam, Purushottam and Dixi for their failure to mention my name. :) Though Varun made up for it (whereas I forgot his). But soon the valfis were also over.

End of valfis meant time for exams. This was a most unusual period. I had to get back with Shweta, time was running out as I had a job in Gurgaon now. I forced myself into "giving it a shot" but it failed miserably. (The repercussions are still to be felt). After much fighting and praying I cleared all papers with ever diappointing grades; BTP suffering the same faith. (Which reminds me : I mailed my BTP guide a couple of days back. Aise hii).

Sem over. Time to get myself a new job, in Bombay. The job hunt proved terribly depressing once again with a long telephonic interview with Socgen HK office where too I hugged beautifully. Eventually I applied at BoA and settled with the job.

No comments: