Friday, March 23, 2007

Irony

I entered IIT with slightly sub-standard dreams. To only work on my language, communication skills, confidence, crack CAT, go to IIM-A and come out with job in UBS (or the like). I pretty much lost track of time before I knew it I was below-par at acads and everything else I aspired to achieved. Anyway, before long placements begun and it was truly depressing.

I was hopeful of at least carrying myself till the end of CapOne or UBS, but I was out before they even started interviewing people.

A stroke of luck and I landed in SocGen. Little did I know that it could be such an amazing place to work at - reputation, potential to learn et al. And when I look back at placement season now - I can't help looking at Kshitij. Thankfully he'll finally be leaving India, 6 months late and for a different country, Canada.

Recently, a school and an IIT senior or mine, Sharad Maloo, lost his life while surfing in Mexico. It was only a year back when he was everywhere in the news - how an IITian landed with a 100K USD job, about a bright future - that unfortunately isn't to be a future anymore. Destiny took him away - who could have even imagined.

If it weren't for Him I too wouldn't have been writing this blog. Should I thank Him? I really don't know - maybe I'll play safe and do thank Him. Thank you, O Lord. Please keep it that way... or maybe even better.

1 comment:

A said...

It was Puerto Rico & not Mexico.